WOMADelaide has announced legendary Senegalese singer, percussionist and social revolutionist, Youssou N’Dour as headliner for its initial line-up of 25 international artists for the 2015 festival, to be held in Adelaide’s Botanic Park, March 6-9.
Returning for his third appearance at WOMADelaide, Youssou N’Dour boasts a career spanning more than three decades, including a recent period as Senegal’s Minister for Culture and Tourism, and an attempt at the countries presidency and is one of the most influential cultural figureheads within political and musical circles in Africa.
“Youssou’s long standing relationship with WOMADelaide and its fans is something we hold very dear. He is a true leader on and off the stage and it’s a privilege to again exclusively host him at WOMADelaide in 2015,” said WOMADelaide Director, Ian Scobie, who added that it is a real honour to again host Youssou N’Dour, an artist who played the very first WOMADelaide in 1992.
Further bolstering WOMADelaide’s initial announcement is the inclusion the transatlantic folk super-group, The Gloaming, consisting of New York pianist Thomas Bartlett, sean-nos singer Iarla Ó Lionaird, Chicago guitarist Dennis Cahill, fiddler Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh and fiddle master Martin Hayes.
Joining Youssou N’Dour and The Gloaming on the inaugural 2015 WOMADelaide announcement are:
– Legendary South African jazz pianist and composer; Abdullah Ibrahim Quartet
– Balkan Beat Box, Niger’s Bombino
– Italy’s Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino
– American electric blues harmonica player, Charlie Musselwhite
– Europe’s multinational Che Sudaka, Brazilian rap and soul singer, Criolo
– Northern Romania’s Balkan brass band Fanfare Ciocarlia
– Brazilian Flavia Coelho
– Gordie MacKeeman and his Rhythm Boys
– Korean instrumentalist Jambinai, Kinshasa ‘s Jupiter & Okwess International
– Boston’s Lake Street Dive
– Live Live Cinema
– Bolivian diva Luzmila Carpio
– Marrugeku Theatre company premiering the new production, Cut The Sky
– Malawi Mouse Boys
– Hindustani vocal virtuoso, Meeta Pandit
– Swedish born singer songwriter, rapper and DJ, Neneh Cherry with RocketNumberNine+
– Public Service Broadcasting
– The Palestine National Ensemble of Arabic Music, Ramzi Aburedwan and Ensemble Dal ‘Ouna
– Rufus Wainwright
– Japan’s Soil and ‘Pimp’ Sessions.
The next instalment of WOMADelaide artists will be announced on October 28.
For tickets and event information visit: www.womadelaide.com.au