This will be a work in progress for the next week or so.
Here is what you need (apart from your E-ticket and current Passport):
– US dollars. Buy them now the Aussie dollar is looking good. Allow at least $50 a day each for food and drinks.
– ATM Card. Check with your bank to make sure that your card works there. If it is on a Cirrus network it will.
– Credit/Debit Card. You will need one of these if you want to rent a car etc.
– Travellers’ Cheques. I always take some to save the ATM transaction fee.
Be prepared for 6 days of combat at Jazz Fest. While the weather last year was fantastic it won’t necessarily be the same next year. So expect hot and humid and hope for the best.
– Comfy walking shoes. Essential
– Walking socks. Thin polyester socks can be a pain in the heel.
– Cotton slacks. You don’t want to be wearing denim in New Orleans unless you want to find out what nappy rash is like!
– Nice loose cotton Hawaiian shirts for going out at night. Good instead of sweaty t-shirts.
– A hat or cap (which you can buy there).
– Your favourite carry bag. I always like to cart my accoutrements around in a handy leather bag, although I have been known to use a plastic supermarket bag (which kind of dents the image).
– Paw Paw Ointment – the miracle cream. Get a small jar and if you get blisters or heat rash you will thank me for the rest of your life.
– Sunscreen. You can get it there.
– Camping chair. We’ll get it at Walgreens or WalMart for US$12.99.
– A good camera (digital or otherwise). See Buying Things In The US.