The Prodigal Son, Ry Cooder’s first new solo release in six years, is set for release via Caroline Australia on May 11, 2018.
Recorded in Hollywood, CA, and produced by Ry and his chief collaborator, drummer Joachim Cooder, The Prodigal Son is said to be ‘all America – spiritual, hopeful voices, raw cries and sly provocations, voiced through the songs of the Pilgrim Travelers, The Stanley Brothers, Blind Willie Johnson, and Ry Cooder himself.’
The album’s 11 tracks, including three Cooder originals and a carefully selected collection of his most treasured blues ‘n’ roots spirituals of the last century, forming ‘an unflinching look at the state of play in modern America’.
On the recording process, Ry explained, “I tried to open up these old tunes in the little way like I used to do on earlier records, so ‘you-the-public’ will possibly hear them in an appealing new-ish context,” he said. “Joachim’s ethereal settings really showed the way, got me pointed in the right direction. Plus, the two of us have a real ball in the studio, just wailing. One take, live vocals, etc. I wouldn’t even try without him.”
For nearly 50 years, the immense scope and influence of Ry Cooder’s music has been felt as much, or more than heard. As master musician, producer, songwriter and sage, the Santa Monica, California native has explored music and culture from across the city, the state, the country and around the world. Framed by his expressive vocals and elegant guitar work, this is music for these times. A deft commentary on our ailing moral state, The Prodigal Son is a fearless dive into the country’s soul, and the man, Ry Cooder.
The Prodigal Son Track List:
1. Straight street (James W. Alexander / Jesse Whitaker)
2. Shrinking man (Ry Cooder)
3. Gentrification (Ry Cooder / Joachim Cooder)
4. Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right (Traditional; Blind Willie Johnson, Arr. by Ry Cooder)
5. The Prodigal Son (Traditional: Arranged by Ry Cooder /Joachim Cooder)
6. Nobody’s Fault But Mine (Blind Willie Johnson / Arranged Ry Cooder / Joachim Cooder)
7. You Must Unload (Alfred Reed)
8. I’ll Be Rested When The Roll Is Called (Traditional; Blind Roosevelt Graves, Arranged by Ry Cooder)
9. Harbor of Love (Carter Stanley)
10. Jesus and Woody (Ry Cooder)
11. In His Care (William L. Dawson)