Neil Young will release his latest studio album, entitled Storytone, on October 31 via Reprise Records. The album has 10 brand new compositions recorded live in the studio with a 92-piece orchestra and choir.
Young first recorded the songs on his own in a solo-setting, then created versions of the songs for orchestra and big band.
The first track released from the album is ‘Who’s Gonna Stand Up?’, which was originally performed at Crazy Horse shows in the U.K. this summer and more recently, as part of Young’s solo acoustic set at Farm Aid. The track is a plea to end dependence of fossil fuels in hopes of protecting the Earth’s fragile eco-systems for future generations.
The pre-order for Storytone is available now at all participating retailers. Configurations include; a deluxe CD edition (containing both solo and orchestral versions), and the deluxe 180 gram double vinyl pressing, which will be released on December 19 and will feature both versions of the album.
All of the Storytone music was produced by The Volume Dealers (Neil Young and Niko Bolas), recorded and mixed by Al Schmitt with additional co-production, arrangements, orchestration, and conducted by Michael Bearden and Chris Walden.
The track-listing for Storytone 2CD deluxe is as follows:
1. Plastic Flowers (Solo)
2. Who’s Gonna Stand Up? (Solo)
3. I Want To Drive My Car (Solo)
4. Glimmer (Solo)
5. Say Hello To Chicago (Solo)
6. Tumbleweed (Solo)
7. Like You Used To Do (Solo)
8. I’m Glad I Found You (Solo)
9. When I Watch You Sleeping (Solo)
10. All Those Dreams (Solo)
1. Plastic Flowers (Orchestral)
2. Who’s Gonna Stand Up? (Orchestral)
3. I Want To Drive My Car (Orchestral)
4. Glimmer (Orchestral)
5. Say Hello To Chicago (Orchestral)
6. Tumbleweed (Orchestral)
7. Like You Used To Do (Orchestral)
8. I’m Glad I Found You (Orchestral)
9. When I Watch You Sleeping (Orchestral)
10. All Those Dreams (Orchestral)