A few quick things I want to add or had forgotten to write about!
– ‘I don’t drink normally.” – Dale Watson, tonight (Monday Sept 29) at The Continental Club. (Think about it!).
– ‘Even false hope is hope.’ – Jon Dee Graham (Wednesday Sept 24) at The Continental Club
– The Diet Stops Here! This should be our slogan on arriving in Austin
– What is the audience like at The Monterey Jazz Festival? While waiting for the Cannonball Adderley panel discussion to start, a plastic water bottle was passed around two rows and I was the only one who could open it!
– When we arrived at the airport in Austin I was drawn to some music, saw a chap playing guitar on a small stage, discovered it was Randy Weeks (who wrote ‘Can’t Let Go’ which Lucinda Williams recorded) and bought his latest CD on the spot. Not even out of the airport and the music gets you!
– Am I the only person in America without an iPhone?
– Bob Schneider did a song the other night at Threadgill’s about being in a band with Jesus and how good it would be because he (Bob) could take all the money and get all the girls!
– I spoke on the phone to Alejandro Escovedo this morning and all he wanted to talk about was Ausytralian music – The Scientists, The Saints etc. Am I a surfer? I am glad we didn’t meet in person.
– Petrol is still only A$1.27 a litre here.
– The new series of Dexter has started here and I almost got to see half an episode.
– Las Manitas, an excellent Mexican joint, has closed down.
– There seems to be a rather large number of men here (at least two) who wear dresses or skirts.